Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Fort Bellefontaine Spring 2014


     Spring 2014 a friend of mine posted on Facebook that she needed to take her niece's "Flat Stanley" to some place in St. Louis that he had never been before. 

 She asked people to comment where she should go.  One place mentioned was the "Grand Staircase" at Fort Belle Fontaine Park. I followed a link only to find what truly was a grand stair case!  It was stunning. I knew I had to go with her. Little did I know that she planned to go the very next day.  Luckily I was able to fit it in my schedule and the following pictures are the result. 

      It's crazy that it was built as a functioning site for soldiers.  I found out from my cousin that I had at least one ancestor who was stationed there during the war of 1812.  How is that for amazing! Follow the link at the bottom of this post to see the official page for Fort Belle Fontaine.

(Follow the link to my flickr page where you can see all the photos.)

                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/111968717@N03/sets/72157644419952696/


This is one of the 250 cake sculptures that have been placed throughout the Greater St. Louis area in honor of St. Louis' 250th birthday.  With me is my good friend, Caitlin "Cat" Mayhew.


The Grand Staircase itself!

                 Anne and Flat Stanley making their way to the road to take in their own view.

Cat looks like she could be on an album cover.

Stunning, romantic construction. 

Follow the link below to the official site for Fort Belle Fontaine.


http://stlouisco.com/ParksandRecreation/ParkPages/FortBelleFontaine


Another cool site for the Fort. 
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/mo-fortbellefontaine.html

No comments:

Post a Comment